Friday, November 7, 2008

Johnnie Ryan's Root Beer

So here is another root beer we tried out in New York. Buffalo is right next to Niagra Falls, where Johnnie Ryan Bottling Company is located. It was started in 1935 and seems like a small time distributor. Johnnie Ryan comes in several flavors, but the only one i tried was the root beer. I can probably tell you what the rest of them taste like though without ever drinking them...

(p.s. this post will probably be pretty short)

The bottle is kinda cool. It has a very retro 50's design and feel to it, lots of fancy script and fonts to look at. It definitely caught my attention in the local grocery store. We were in NY, so i overlooked the fact that it was about $5.50 and came in a 4-pack. Everything else about it made me excited to give it a try.

I don't know how well you can read my tone in this post, but i'll just jump right to the chase; it wasn't good. It had hardly any carbination in it and about as much taste as a stick of Juicy Fruit after you've chewed it for 10 minutes. Extremely bland, no kick or even any real taste. I might as well have been drinking brown water. Sorry Johnnie Ryan, but i think you need to rethink this one.

My official review is that Johnnie Ryan's gets 2 (two) IBCs. Seriously, the only thing keeping this thing from a 1 is the fact that it didn't make me ralph, it just had no effect on me. No wow, no appeal, no reason to waste your time or money.

No comments: