Thursday, April 5, 2012

Chek Root Beer

Ok, so i have more generics in my fridge, and i want to get these next couple out of the way cuz they are taking up space. This is the generic brand sold by the grocery store chain Winn Dixie. I picked this one up on my latest cross country tour with Richard in Montgomery, AL. They actually have two types of root beer (stay tuned for a review of the next one, coming soon) as well as several other flavors, which is typical of most generic brands. I am not sure where Winn Dixies are most prominantly located as far as the geography of the U.S. is concerned, but i do know they made movie called Because of Winn Dixie about a dog (i believe the dog in the movie was specifically named after the store). I never saw it, but i think it's supposed to be a feel good family film or something. And it has Jeff Daniels in it. And Dave Matthews? Weird. I probably still won't see it though. If i didn't review root beers, i would probably try my hand at reviewing movies (and be amazing at it), but i hear the major downside to that is that you have to sit through movies like that one. So i'll stick to root beers, cuz even if it's bad, at least i don't have to drink it for an hour and a half.

These were cheapest in 2 liter bottles, so that's what i got. The generic theme is preciscely followed with the label on this brand. Just look at the color scheme, font, bubbles, etc. If you've been reading my posts at all, you'll recognize the trend. So needless to say, the label doesn't add much to the appeal. For those of you with super sharp eagle eyes, you can probably notice that the pic above is slightly altered. It's because i opened this bottle and poured a glass before i had taken a picture of it, so when i realized my error i just superimposed the label onto another picture of a full, unopened bottle. Not my best work, but it doesn't really matter. It's just a generic.

I almost feel bad reviewing generics, because i don't have much to say about them. This one is a prime example of that. I still feel like i need to do my due diligence though and let you, my loyal readers, know which root beers are worthwhile and which you can skip. So for this generic all i can really say is that it's not bad, but not great. Has a good root beer flavor, but nothing to write home about. Decent carbonation, sweetened with HFCS, and is sold as cheap as they come. Definitely has value and is one of the better generics i've had, but really nothing special. Safeway's brand (Parker's Root Beer) is still my favorite generic i think, but this one is acceptable. Looking back at some of my generics reviews, i have given several a fairly high rating, which kind of suprises me. Most probably don't deserve it, but since i don't do re-reviews the rating will have to be allowed to stand.

My official review is that Chek Root Beer gets 6 (six) IBCs. I was on the edge of giving it a 5, but it's really not terrible. There are definitely worse, more watery tasting generics out there. This one is better than a lot of them, but still nothing super special at all. The next variation of the Chek root beer formula will be reviewed soon, so we will see how they stack up against one another. Don't expect a lot of added content from that review though. I've covered most of the basics in this review.

No comments: